THE NEW YORK CITY DEPARTMENT OF EDUCATION
Martin Van Buren High School
230-17 Hillside Avenue
Queens Village, New York 11427
Gus C. Smaragdas, Asst. Principal Administration
- Fighting is not tolerated. Students who engage in a fight will be suspended and subject to arrest.
- No head coverings are to be worn in school. This includes: do-rags, bandanas, sweatbands and hats. All school staff will strictly enforce this policy.
- All students must carry their photo identification card and program card at all times while on school property.
- Any student on suspension will not be allowed to attend any of the MVB after school activities.
- No student will be admitted to the cafeteria without a photo I.D. card. Replacement I.D. cards may be obtained in the cafeteria.
- All students must exit the building through the main lobby only. A student may never open side doors.
- All students must arrive to class on time. Students who are late more than three times will be issued a suspension.
- Students who arrive late to school must pick up a late pass (available in the cafeteria), which must be presented to your teacher.
- Lockers are school property and are NOT to be used at any time.
- Do not bring valuable jewelry, large amounts of cash or expensive clothing to school.
- No food or drink is to be brought into any classroom. Students are not to be sent to the cafeteria for food or drink during classes.
- The following items are NOT permitted in this school:
Cellular telephones, tape recorders, pagers, 2-way radios, walkie-talkies,
radios, walkmen, CD players, and laser pointers.
- Students found in the cafeteria during an unauthorized period will be suspended. Students may only enter during their assigned lunch period.
- Do not congregate around the school or trespass on the private property of our neighbors. The police will enforce loitering laws and quality of life issues.
- All visitors must sign in at the main desk.
- No visitors under 18 years of age will be permitted into the building without parental supervision.
We are a Learning Community. Our respect for each other and for our rules helps us to work together to achieve our goals of obtaining a diploma.
Selected as a school of excellence by the New York state education department