Did you know that Andries Hudde was born in 1608 in the small village of Kampen, Holland. He arrived in America in the year 1629, at age twenty-one. At the time, Brooklyn was a village filled with Dutch settlers.
At age twenty-four, Hudde was appointed "commissary of the stores," the person in charge of food distribution and storage. As time passed, Hudde became a Colonial Secretary, and in 1636, he had enough money to purchase 3,600 acres of land. This land, which he bought from the Native Americans, was located in what is now part of Brooklyn. This is the land on which our school stands today.
Hudde then bought a farm in Harlem. Unfortunately, it was sold publicly when he returned to Holland to get married. With his fortune lost, Hudde was forced to sell his land.
Five years later, Andries was given a job as a surveyor by Peter Stuyvesant, the governor. Soon after, he was made commissary of Ft. Nassau. After a number of incidents, including the death of his wife, a guilty verdict for company desertion, and imprisonment, Hudde was assigned to the position of Vice Director of a project on the Delaware River. In 1660. he left to go to Maryland in hope of becoming a brewer. On his way to maryland, he was robbed, and was again forced to ask for a job from Stuyvesant. Hudde became a clerk at Ft. Altoona. Three years later, he died.
Hudde was an ambitious man with the spirit of an explorer. Our school was built on his former property, and named for him.